Friday, February 3, 2023

Wk 4: Transculturation

  Before Thursday's lecture, I never heard of the term transculturation before. From what I understand, transculturation is essentially when marginalized groups learn or take something from a dominant group's own culture/way of life and either use it for another purpose or modify it for their own purposes. For example, the christian religion was taught to the African American slaves, and then the slaves then modified it a little in order for them to directly relate to it and look to it for hope about their situation. Black churches and theology were created where they focused on more on justice and God brining his people to the promised land. 

    Personally, I find it to be an interesting term and idea because I would agree with the lecture that the word transculturation gives more power and agency over the members of marginalized groups. Dominant groups are always portrayed as having a considerately large amount of power of marginalized ones and often force their ways upon them. But transculturation is less about a forced changed but more of one that a group adopted and put their own little twist to it giving them power over it.

    An example could be Día De Los Muertos. When the Spaniards colonized the area that is now Mexico, they brought their christian faith and celebrations with them. In the end of October and Beginning of November there is All Souls Day and All Saints Day which are Christian celebrations of the dead and saints. The natives in Mexico took that concept and made it their own with the celebration of Día De Los Muertos where the dead and specifically ancestors are celebrated. There are even specific customs and traditions that go along with it like making an ofrenda. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Monique, thanks for sharing. I agree that I, too, hadn't heard about this term before. However, it's definitely a concept I'd heard of before, so I thought it was nice to be able to put a name to it. Also, I think the example you gave fits very well - nice analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Monique. Before this microlecture, I was also not familiar with the term "transculturation" in the slightest. I agree with you that transculturation gives power to the marginalized group because they can take something and alter it to their liking, giving them power over it. Before, I believed that transculturation was entirely about forced assimilation. Thanks for giving me another perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Wk. 10: Pachinko Lessons

  After finishing Pachinko I think one of the main reasons that Min Jin Lee wrote this novel was both to expose people do Korean history and...