Thursday, September 29, 2022

Home Fire's Peaks and Excursion Topics

    If I am being honest, when I started reading Home Fire  I wasn't quite sure where the story was leading with Isma. It just felt so plain and guarded that at times it was almost dull to read. When I started looking deeper though, I noticed that the writing reflected Isma's character and how she processed the world around her. It seemed that she would only show her gentile side when she was referring to or talking about Aneeka. When I started noticing this I was intrigued on reading the other perspectives in Home Fire to see how Shamsie wanted her characters to be perceived. Even though the majority of the perspectives aren't told in first person, the different diction that comes with each character and the so often one sidedness of each perspectives was an interesting thing to read. We would only notice this one sidedness when we went on to the next segment of the book with another perspective. 

    While reading through the different perspectives, there have been some references that I didn't quite understand. One thing is the importance of the hijab/turban in Muslim religion and culture. I have noticed that each female character sort of wears it, but at the same time they are almost just as comfortable as taking it off as leaving it on. I would like to know more on the strict aspects of wearing the hijab. I would also like to know what exactly happened and what was Guantanamo, Bagram, Caliphate. These places have been mentioned several times but I am not quite sure of their  significance. Something else that has peaked my interest is learning about what exactly the Rock Against racism march that happened on April 29th, 1978. I am not quite sure if it is made up in some senses or completely real. Also, at the beginning of Isma's section of the book she mentioned that the officers at the airport asked on her opinion of the Shias and Sunnis. I am not quite sure who or what they are, but I would be interested in learning more and how that relates to being asked this question when Isma is trying to leave to America. One last thing that I want to learn more about it the morality police (Hisba) and who exactly the Jihadi are.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Monique! I have to admit that I also originally thought that Isma's section of Home Fire was a bit dull. It wasn't until reading some of the other sections that I understood that Shamsie intended the section to reflect the guardedness of Isma's personality. I was also struck by many of the same potential research excursion topics you mentioned. There are so many references in Home Fire that it is difficult to pick one! I look forward to learning what you decide to research and am sure it will be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monique! I agree that Isma's section was a bit boring and it was sometimes hard to read through. But, it makes sense why Shamsie did that to reflect Isma's character traits and personality! All the research topics you mentioned seem so interesting! Home Fire has brought up many topics and events so I'm glad that you have a few that intrigue you! Sometimes when I'm reading, I also have to ask if it's real or not. But anyways, I'm exciting to seeing what you have to research and what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monique! I enjoyed reading Isma's section, but I do agree that at times it felt like I was just waiting for "more." As far as your research ideas, it's so cool that you have so many ideas! I think a lot of these would be awesome to dive further in to, and I look forward to seeing which one you settle on and what your final project will look like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Monique! Isma's section seemed plain to me as well. There is no sense of direction, and her reserved perspective makes the story feel as though nothing is happening. I think part of the beauty of this story is the change from her to Eamonn. In retrospect, Isma's section was the perfect way to build mystery and introduce the themes in a more neutral way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monique! When it comes to the hijab, Muslim woman are supposed to always have their hair covered unless they are with their immediate family. Whenever Isma or Aneeka take it off in front of Eamonn they are committing a haram action(sinning). There is more depth toward the hijab as well like how some Muslim women wear a covering that also covers their entire face besides their eyes as well. I'm also extremely interested in the prison camps you brought up and it is one of the things mentioned in the book I am interested in researching. Shias and Sunnis are the 2 main groups/branches of Islam. They interpret the Quran(the holy text in Islam) differently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monique! I totally agree with your initial thoughts about "Home Fire." I was having a hard time finding it to be an interesting read until I got to see Aneeka's side of the story, because I thought it to be more personal and emotional. I also think that researching topics on events you are unfamiliar with, such as Guantanamo, Caliphate, and Bagram would be interesting to explore! I also am unfamiliar with these events and I think that they are very good options because knowing more about these events I think will add to your knowledge of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monique! I agree that Isma's section was dull and although I think it made sense after reading the other sections to start with it, I'm not sure if I would've kept reading if it was a choice book. However, Eamon's section was much better and really sparked my interest. I also love how you listed so many ideas for research. I'll definitely look back at this post for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Monique. I must say I agree with your assessment of Isma's section. While it was boring at points and often felt quite slow-moving, it set up the rest of the novel well. Not only did it introduce us to characters that would come up later, it also gave readers the suspense Shamsie wanted us to feel so that we continued unfolding the story one page at a time. I'm glad we were able to understand the importance of Isma's section!

    ReplyDelete

Wk. 10: Pachinko Lessons

  After finishing Pachinko I think one of the main reasons that Min Jin Lee wrote this novel was both to expose people do Korean history and...