Saturday, October 22, 2022

Intertextuality Project for mid quarter

 2. Reflection on your Intertextuality Final Project at mid-quarter. Read through the description of the final project posted on Camino. What topic and format are you considering for your final project? Please be as detailed as possible, since Michelle will respond with feedback to all of these prompts to help guide your next steps. You do not need to know what texts you will be working with at this point, only a topic/theme/type of story and/or genre that you can explore across global geographical space and deep historical time.

------------------------------------

After reading the Intertextuality Final Project description, I honestly am not quite sure what exactly I want to explore. I am not quite a hundred percent certain that I will end up using this format, but, after reading what we have to do for our project I think neatline will probably be the best and concise format to use. As for the exact topic I am not quite sure yet. For the short time that I have been thinking about it, I am considering going in a direction where Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie will be my "home text." I liked the idea of having multiple different perspectives to tell a controversial tale or about a specific character. Or the aspect of creating an entire narrative around a character who is seen in the public eye as someone who is a "bad guy" but after, either that very characters perspective, or through someone close to them we are able to see this character through a different character and might even sympathize with them. I am thinking on staying in the fiction route, maybe historical fiction. I am not quite sure if this type of genre spans through historical time, but I believe that I could find some books across geographical space. I am sure that the more thought I give this, the more precise my topic will be. Right now, one story that sort of goes along with this topic would be The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I know that throughout that story there are multiple perspectives and background given to these characters and then how they all relate and treat this one character, the one the entire novel is about, Pecola Breedlove. I do have a question regarding the project through, how big of a span should the historical time frame vary from (a few hundred years)? And if a book is written in modern times but set in another time period would we base the time frame on the publication date or the historical time setting?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Monique! I also read The Bluest Eye, and I loved it! I think it's an excellent place to look into the topic of multiple perspectives informing the reader on one story. It also has the benefit of being a very interesting story culturally, being about African Americans in the 1940's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Monique! I think your idea to explore texts without a clear protagonist is an interesting one. I think that having multiple different perspectives allows for there to be no bias as it allows the reader to digest what each character has to say and consider each characters predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monique! I love your idea about exploring texts that are centered around a character who is automatically presented as the "bad guy." These kind of stories help other characters and the readers recognize their own prejudices, and I think it could be a really exciting project. Good luck with whatever you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your idea of looking at texts with that interesting shift in perspective is super cool. I really appreciated the depth that it gave characters in Home Fire and I would be super interested to hear about more texts that do a similar thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monique! I also am leaning towards Home Fire as being my "home text". I think you have some really unique ideas as well. I personally would have never thought of exploring texts with shifting perspectives, but it sounds like a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The time frame for a particular text is determined by its publication date. You should be aiming for 4 different historical periods and 4 different geographical regions of the globe. Historical periods range from pre-contact, ancient, medieval, early modern/Renaissance, 18th century, 19th century, 20th century/contemporary. You want to find 4 new texts, so it's best to start with a theme, not another title. The idea of a misunderstood protagonist could be fruitful...

    ReplyDelete

Wk. 10: Pachinko Lessons

  After finishing Pachinko I think one of the main reasons that Min Jin Lee wrote this novel was both to expose people do Korean history and...