Friday, January 13, 2023

English 11H Final Projects Visitations!

    The first final project that I looked at was Eloise's with the title, Non-White Female Heroines In Literature Throughout Time and Space. First off, I was really intrigued by Eloise's topic and was fascinated to learn more about what she had discovered. When it comes to structure and formatting I liked how Eloise gives a general overview of the characters she had chosen and then described how they are seen as female heroines. Moving on to the content portion of her neatline exhibit I learned that Celie in The Color Purple by Alice Walker, transformed from being a character that was abused often by those around her into a character who learned to stand up for herself. I especially appreciated how in depth Eloise went into showing Celie's transformation by pointing out the differences in her writing style from Southern Black Vernacular to a much more articulate and descriptive writing style.

    The second project that I looked at was Catalina's with the topic, The Defiant Heroine in Literature Throughout Time and Space. Something that I liked about Catalina's project was how she integrated societal norms of the time into her portrayal of Juliet, from Romeo and Juliet, as a heroine who went out of conventional norms to create her own destiny. She wanted to be with Romeo and created a plan where the execution did not go as she planned when Romeo killed himself, but she still was in control of her own destiny when she decided to kill herself. Overall I liked Catalina's four different heroine's that she chose for her neatline project and the way in which she executed it all.

    The third final project that I looked at was Paulos' and he did his neatline on the topic of Love Tragedies in Literature. I found it really interesting how the story of Pyramus and Thisbe is very similar to the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. In both instances the families were feuding and Pyramus, much like Romeo, assumes the worst of their beloved being dead and kill themselves which in turn cause their beloved to kill themselves also. I wonder if Shakespeare read the story of "Pyramus and Thisbe" and reimagined it into Romeo and Juliet. I also liked the third primary text that Paulos chose "Tristan and Isolde." I this one seems to be a bit more original in the story line then the previous texts, but much like the previous texts, the story ends in tragedy and death for the lovers. Something that I particularly liked about the structure Paulos chose was having a separate waypoint to showcase information that is more general facts about the texts and then has a separate one with an overview of the story with an explanation.

    The fourth project that I looked at was Griffin's who chose the topic of Intergenerational Trauma in Literature Throughout Time and Space. As far as structure goes, I really liked how Griffin had multiple different ways to distinguish between the different waypoints as well as his decision to color code them. It made it much easier to navigate understand the texts. After reading Griffin's section of Wuthering Heights I learned that the mistreatment that Heathcliff received was then turned to generational trauma when Heathcliff started treating Hareton, his wife, and his son terribly. I also found it interesting how Griffin connects the generational trauma not just to the mistreatment that he received in his former years but perhaps also due to the generational trauma of the slaves who came before him with him being a of mixed race. 

Overall, I liked and learned from all of the different neatline projects that my classmates did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wk. 10: Pachinko Lessons

  After finishing Pachinko I think one of the main reasons that Min Jin Lee wrote this novel was both to expose people do Korean history and...